Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Guardian Angel

Twelve years ago today, Kevin lost his mother to a brave fight with breast cancer. I remember those days just like they were yesterday. I remember getting the call from his uncle saying that Kevin needed to fly home – quickly. I remember putting Kevin on the plan to Atlanta late that night with my brand new engagement ring in his hand. I remember him telling me of the visit to her room in the hospital late that night. During those next few days, I remember being on the phone with Kevin as he had to make some of the most difficult decisions of his life. I remember that phone call on a Sunday evening from Kevin telling me that it was time for me to come down – his mom was going through kidney failure. I left bright and early Monday morning to head for Florida. I arrived to her house just minutes after she died. Kevin later told me that he had said a prayer that I not see his mother in that condition. It is funny though – those next few days are a huge blurr. There was so much to do – so much that a young man should not have to do alone.

I never got a chance to have a mother-in-law. I only got to know her for a short time before the cancer came back with a bang. I know that she was the sweetest, most caring person. I often wonder what she would think about her 2 grandchildren. I often wonder if they will ever know what a wonderful person she was and how tragic it was that she left this earth way too early in life.

I think about her often and know that she is our guardian angel looking down upon us.

No comments:

Post a Comment