Last night I hosted a training session called “Mountains to Midlands 101”. It is the first course used to help train new leaders in the Girl Scout organization. I was a Girl Scout YEARS ago. I was pleased to find out that while the name of the council changed from “Old 96” everything else still remains the same. There are a few more bells and whistles and lots more training materials; but the same basic principle is still there – Girls learning to be leaders while living by the Girl Scout Promise and the Girl Scout Law.
As we were going through the meeting last night, the instructor asked who my leader was growing up. I had several leaders over the years, but the leader that helped me achieve my Gold Award was Gloria Gaumaunt. The instructor was actually really good friends with Ms. Gaumaunt. Then she asked where I went to high school. I said that I graduated from Wade Hampton High School where my mother was head of the math department. She then mentioned that her baby brother taught at Wade Hampton. It turns out that her brother is James Fox – one of my FAVORITE teachers in high school. He is THE reason that I fell in love with marching band. We had a great time exchanging stories about her little brother. I even had to bring out my scrapbook to show pictures of my favorite band director during the many trips he took us on.
As I was looking back on the album last night, I thought to myself just how amazing it is that somehow we all are inter-related. Relationships that we make early on in life follow us as we continue on with life’s little journeys. Perhaps that is why Kevin and I want to stress to Ashley and Eric to be involved in activities. Get involved in Scouting. Get involved in Music. It certainly will be a true life blessing that will pay forward for many years to come.
Tuesday, September 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment