Kevin and I have been going to the same church since we were married. Actually, we started going there as a couple when we were dating. It seems like each Sunday we always sit in the same location. I don’t know why we do that – we just do. I guess we are just creatures of habit. It now feels “unnatural” to sit anywhere else. I don’t think we are alone in this practice. As I look around the church, I see the same people all sitting in the same place week after week. I guess I find comfort in that. In this crazy world where we are all moving at the speed of light I can find continuity in where people sit on Sunday mornings.
Yesterday, Kevin ended up going to church by himself and for some reason he decided to “switch things up” and sit in a different location. He even went so far as to sit on the other side of the church! When he got home after the service, he humorously told me this tale. I kind of chuckled and said “Gee, I bet you have not sat on that side of the church since our wedding ceremony!” (For those that are not familiar with the Episcopal service, the bride and her party sit on the left side and the groom and his party sit on the right side of the church as you are looking at the altar). Kevin laughed and said that he was thinking the exact same thing. He then commented on how lucky he felt that we get to go back week after week to the place where we got married and how we are raising our children in that same place.
Yesterday, Kevin ended up going to church by himself and for some reason he decided to “switch things up” and sit in a different location. He even went so far as to sit on the other side of the church! When he got home after the service, he humorously told me this tale. I kind of chuckled and said “Gee, I bet you have not sat on that side of the church since our wedding ceremony!” (For those that are not familiar with the Episcopal service, the bride and her party sit on the left side and the groom and his party sit on the right side of the church as you are looking at the altar). Kevin laughed and said that he was thinking the exact same thing. He then commented on how lucky he felt that we get to go back week after week to the place where we got married and how we are raising our children in that same place.
Once again, there is a sense of continuity. It is those little things that just make you sit back and smile.


That is very cool. I think it's kind of like when I think of mine and Brian's wedding and how we got married in the same church that my parents did AND my dad married us. :)
ReplyDelete